Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Valentine Shmalentine

We begin this post with a little story. I'm standing in line at the store and I overhear this cute young girl say to her cute young friend, "I don't have anyone to buy me flowers this year". That statement alone is a wonderful expression as to why Valentine's Day stinks. While I myself did receive flowers, and I do have a date this evening (shhhh), I still firmly believe that the balance of this holiday equates to more harm than good. Yes it's nice to celebrate your lover--But honestly you should be doing that everyday anyway! Instead what the holiday does is make those people, who are currently mateless, feel "less than". And that's just bunk.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kimmie: My friend Dylan and I were out at lunch the other day buying flowers last minute for our wives and having a similar discussion. "Shouldn't you be spending the other 364 days a year making sure that whomever is putting up with your good and bad moments feels APPRECIATED?" I am the last person that needs Hallmark to remind me of how lucky I am!