Monday, April 30, 2007

Doing it like... Bunnies...

I was out tooling around in my garden, trying to replace my underground soaker hose, cutting back a mutant strain of parsley that lived through the winter and now has stalks the size of small trees, and pruning back other vegetation. I made my way through the parsley and was about to plant a nice fresh basil when a little rodent head appeared from beneath the mulch.

Contrary to what some may believe, I'm not a big "girl" and I didn't run away screaming. Instead, I cooed in response and began to call all my friends... "I have a baby mole in my garden!"

Upon closer inspection, we didn't have "a mole" but multiple babies had taken residence next to the nutritious and delicious parsley. Being the animal lover I am, I decided to leave them where they were, and planned to spot water until they grew to adult size and would later find a humane means of transplanting them from my garden. It wasn't until later in the day when I showed the nest to a friend that the true identity of my house guests were uncovered.

They're not moles... They're baby bunnies!

When being teased about not knowning the difference between moles and bunnies I professed my desire to respect their privacy. I'm happy to report that mama comes back every evening to feed the babies and I'm giving her full reign of my garden to raise her young. (I mean hell, no one could have eaten that amount of parsley in a lifetime let alone one year! I can share!)

No comments: